Last updated on July 6th, 2020 at 01:36 pm
Beyonce is a superstar.
She might not have portrayed a superHERO, but she’s pretty damn close in real life.
While researching her diet and workout routine I read through multiple articles who had to remind their readers that Beyonce is also a mere mortal.
But, she’s not actually the first musician/superstar we’ve had on SHJ.
But, Beyonce has also starred in things like Pink Panther, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Obsessed, her recent Netflix Original: Homecoming, and soon to be Disney’s live action Lion King.
Beyonce Knowles Stats:
Weight: (approximate) 123 lbs.
Age: 37 years old
Beyonce is actually about an inch taller than average height we’ve seen among females at SHJ.
But the 5’7-5’8 range is definitely one that we’ve been seeing ladies fall into more often.
Normally the average height we see for women is around 5’4-5’6 with ladies such as Jennifer Aniston, Margot Robbie, Olivia Munn, Alicia Vikander, Sophia Bush, Tatiana Maslany, Evangeline Lilly, and a ton of others.
But then there is also that taller range, and among the tallest (even taller than the 5’7-5’8), are ladies like Gwendoline Christie, Gal Gadot, and a few others – with Phoebe Tonkin, Gabrielle Union, Brie Larson, Nina Dobrev, Daisy Ridley, and so many more coming in around that 5’7-5’8 range.
But, either way, don’t worry.
I write these routines for anyone and everyone.
Learn which program is best for you and your goals.
Take The SHJ Program Quiz and find the perfect program for YOU.
Beyonce Knowles Diet and Nutrition
Beyonce has been known to do some strict diets when it comes crunch time for her next big performance.
One of these moments was when she was getting ready for her 2018 Coachella performance.
Here’s an excerpt from The List giving us some of the details from the diet:
Ahead of her headlining the Coachella music festival in 2018, Beyoncé announced that she was going on a strictly vegan diet to get in shape for the big show. “44 days until Coachella!! Vegan Time!!,” she posted on Instagram, along with a gorgeous piece of avocado toast.
This wasn’t the first time the performer has gone plant-based in order to drop weight and tone up. In fact, she went on a 22-day vegan diet (designed by celebrity trainer Marco Borges) back in 2013 along with her husband, Jay-Z, according to The New York Times. “The benefits of a plant-based diet need to be known,” she wrote in an email. “We should spend more time loving ourselves, which means taking better care of ourselves with good nutrition and making healthier food choices.” She also posted some of her meals on her Instagram page.
Beyoncé may swear by a vegan diet to get in shape, but she’s not a vegan all the time. Back in 2013, she and Jay-Z broke their fast with decadent seafood, according to Us Weekly.
The article continues by telling us about Beyonce’s “on the road” necessities:
When Beyoncé is on the road, she’s not afraid to ask for exactly what she wants, according to The Daily Star newspaper. “She’s extremely regimented and is taking everything extremely seriously, so she expects her list of demands to be adhered to,” a source told them. That means that no junk food is allowed backstage, and the only snacks she wants are almonds and oat cakes served on glass platters. Additionally, the green room salad bar can include green foods only.
But even Queen Bey is human.
It’s important for us to remember that (we all are).
Even after she’s done with her strict prep she always finds her way back to what’s sustainable for her.
Even though Queen Bey works to stay trim and strong, she still likes to splurge on treats now and again, according to Us Weekly magazine. After a restrictive diet where she “ate lettuce,” the singer announced her plans for her upcoming indulgence. “I’m gonna get chocolate-wasted!” she exclaimed to the crowd at a concert in Atlantic City. What exactly that entailed isn’t certain, but it’s clear that Beyoncé enjoyed chocolate in one or several forms. And a lot of it.
Beyonce also tells HuffPost:
“I always have breakfast, say, scrambled egg whites, a vegetable smoothie, or whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk. For lunch and dinner, I eat a lot of fish and vegetables,” she shared. She also noted that she avoided red meat, and replaced rice and pasta with quinoa.
She also made sure to watch her energy intake. “I ate a very low-calorie diet,” she said. So she likely wasn’t having large portions of anything.
And she told People Magazine her best Sunday would be:
“No work, not even a discussion about work; lunch at my favorite pizzeria; having a glass of red wine; and watching Game of Thrones.”
We see a lot of celebs opt for a sustainable approach like this.
That’s why our Academy Nutrition Classes (Monks, Minimalists, SuperHumans, Vikings, Spartans, Hunter Gatherers, Greek Gods, Samurais) revolve around helping you find the specific diet that is right FOR YOU.
Of course, there are a lot of reasons to HAVE the strict guidelines.
We’ve seen a lot of celebs opt for specific restrictions.
For example: Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart incorporate 80/20 dieting with big weekly cheat meals, Hugh Jackman, Benedict Cumberbatch and Terry Crews utilize intermittent fasting(something I use daily as well), Mustafa Shakir and Madelaine Petsch are vegans, Brandon Routh and Frank Grillo opt for paleo, and tons of others utilize their own variations as well.
And, that’s just to name a few celebs from each, by the way.
You can check out our Nutrition Pillars for more information and articles on all of the above and more.
And then we built The SHJ Legacy Program to help you achieve it!
Take The Free Workout Placement Quiz and find the best free workout for you.
Beyonce Knowles Workout Routine Research
Beyonce is dedicated. She doesn’t just persist with her diet, but also her workout.
She’s busy, but her motivation drives her forward.
She tells Self Magazine:
“I can’t eat what I want, and I can’t not go to the gym. The truth is it’s a lot of sacrifice. It’s more about your mental strength than physical strength. You have to push yourself. It doesn’t matter what trainer you have. And it doesn’t matter what program you’re on. You have to be healthy and make the right choices,” she said.
And Pop Sugar is here to help us with even more information about how she does it:
Her time-saving secret: Marco Borges trains Beyoncé using his signature Power Moves philosophy. This system helps her save time, since it relies on exercises that work several muscle groups at once. She also saves time by interval training, alternating between sprinting and running while on the treadmill, to burn more calories in a shorter amount of time.
Between Pop Workouts and Elle.com I was actually able to find SPECIFICS from celeb trainer Marco Borges, who Beyonce apparently contributes her breathtaking physique to.
No matter how much time she has in her packed schedule, she’s also able to get in a quick Marco Borges style workout.
We should also keep in mind before I continue that she is also doing a ton of choreography work, which means she’s always burning extra calories.
Between the two sites that Marco talked to about Queen Bey’s specific workout routine I’ll be able to give you two styles of training that you can use anytime, anywhere. Regardless of if you have no time, we’ll still be able to get moving in Beyonce fashion.
Do you think you’re ready?
Check out all The SHJ Programs and start unleashing your inner SuperHuman.
Beyonce Workout Routine
5+ days per week
I’m going to share the workout routine Marco Borges shared with both Pop Sugar and Elle. The Pop Sugar is specifically targetting a 5 min workout time-frame so you can obviously step it up and utilize it multiple times. The Elle workout is a bonus workout that Marco shes for Beyonces incredible thighs!
I’m not sure if you watched the Homecoming Netflix Original but Beyonce puts in work! You’re going to either need to step it up and do spin class 3-5 times a week, or make up for her extra movement that comes from her choreography training by adding in another form of cardio.
Want To Upgrade This Workout?
The Superhero Academy now comes with an Upgrade Your Workout Tool that allows Academy members to turn any SHJ workout into a 4-8 week fully planned regime detailing exact weights to lift and including reverse & tradition pyramid training, straight sets, super sets, progressive overload and more.
Beyonce 5 Minute Body Blaster:
Here are the five moves he suggests to give yourself an all-over body-blasting workout (even if you only have five minutes to spare before your guests arrive):
- Jumping Plies: I call these jumping squats, but it doesn’t matter what you call them as long as you do them. Here’s how: stand with your feet just a bit wider than shoulder-width apart, abs pulled in tight, and bend your knees, lowering your body till your thighs are parallel to the floor and jump straight into the air. Return to starting position and repeat for one minute.
- Reverse Lunges: Standing with feet shoulder-width apart, step back into a lunge and repeat on the opposite side, alternating for one minute. Be sure that abs remain tight throughout, working your core and maintaining your balance and posture.
- Push-Ups: According to Marco, “The push-up is quite possibly one of the simplest and best body weight movements targeting the muscles of the chest, arms, shoulders and core.” Do as many classic push-ups, or moderated position push-ups from your knees, as you can for a full one minute, making sure to maintain proper form and bring your chest as close to the floor as you can before pushing back to starting plank position.
- Dips: Using a bench or the edge of a chair, position your arms at your sides (almost to the back), flex at the elbow, and lower yourself toward the floor. Return to starting position and repeat for one minute, but don’t rely on your lower body to help lower and raise you — your arms should be doing all the work here.
- Side Planks: Marco suggests this move to blast love handles, working the obliques. Here’s how: “Lie in a plank position with one hand flat on the ground and the other pointed straight to the sky with your feet stacked one over the other. Slowly drop your hips to the ground while maintaining a locked arm, using only your core. Return to your starting position and repeat.”
Do each of the exercises for a minute each, and in just five minutes, you’ll have toned and targeted each of these muscle groups. Plus there’s another benefit to this quick shape-up routine — Borges adds that “the muscle pump you get from this short, intense Total Body Blast fills your muscles with blood and instantly improves the appearance of skin and muscle tone.”
Beyonce’s Go-To Thigh Movements from Marco and Elle:
Do 3 sets of this entire routine:
- Stand in a lunge position: Standing with your back straight, take one giant step forward so that your forward knee is aligned with your heel when you drop down.
- Drop down, and jump explosively and switch your stance in the air as you drop back down into a lunge on the other side.
- Repeat 10 times.
Plie Jumps (as shown in the 5 min body blast)
- Stand with your back straight, core tightened, and feet out to your sides (slightly wider than your shoulders) in a split stance with your feet turned out.
- Drop down into a plié, explode into a jump, and drop back into plié.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Laying flat on your back, bend your right leg and place the foot firmly on the ground aligned with the opposite knee.
- Lift and hold the other leg two to four inches off the ground as you use the planted foot to press and lift your hips off the ground using the inner thigh muscles.
- Repeat 10 times and switch sides.
Reverse Squat Kicks
- Standing with your back straight and abs tight, step back into a reverse lunge.
- As you return to standing position kick forward with the leg that lunged back and return to lunge without planting the foot anywhere except at the bottom of the lunge move.
- Repeat 10 times and switch sides.
Beyonce Workout Additional Cardio Section
Beyonce burns a ton of calories via choreography.
And, on top of that she’s also finding time when possible to hit longer training sessions with Marco where she’s using battle ropes and other forms of training to burn the calories and tone the muscles!
For that reason you’re going to have to step it up if you truly want to look like Queen Bey.
I suggest doing some HIIT or varied cardio 3-5 times a week for 30-60 minutes to burn the extra calories.
If not, you also have the option to take a spin class, or even Pilates!
Join The Superhero Academy and start unleashing your inner SuperHuman.